One of the best ways to learn something new is to watch a master at work. This is just as true with DMing as it is with anything else. To this end, I eschew the long-winded guide today in favor of a video featuring one of my role models as a DM: Chris Perkins, the Senior Producer of D&D at Wizards of the Coat. In this video he is running a game for some of the developers of the Adult Swim show Robot Chicken.
So without further ado, I offer up this video for your viewing pleasure. This is just the first in a series of 25. If you've got two and a half hours of free time, this is an entertaining watch.
For those who want a bit more detail, Mr. Perkins went and made a DM's commentary series of videos to better help those new to the world of DMing.
ha, funny, I love and miss playing good 'ol D&D. Some great info in those vids, I never knew they played D&D, but it figures, all the nerdy referenes in that show.
ReplyDeleteGreat find and article man!
ReplyDeleteQuick question: How much has D&D?
ReplyDelete@Fwission: How much has D&D what?
ReplyDeleteDM is great, but the players make more jokes than roleplay.
ReplyDeleteRobot ChicKan!
ReplyDeleteawesome!
ReplyDeleteThis it's a great blog to check out, i'm also a fan of D&D, not a good player still thoug, hope your advices lead me in the right direction.
ReplyDeleteWatching now. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteIs D&D even still alive? I thought this game was like, super old school.
ReplyDeleteWow. I need to learn how to DM.
ReplyDelete@Martin Wallace: Heck yes its still alive, and very much kicking. And yes, there are lots of old-school versions being played, but its just been updated and re-created to keep up with the times. Its in its 4th edition now, and been around for at least 30 years.
ReplyDeleteAwesome, gotta get in on my friend's dnd games now.
ReplyDeleteI run a Paranoia game weekly, you need to check that game out!
ReplyDelete"DM is great, but the players make more jokes than roleplay." That's true but in my opinion too much RPing can get boring, unless everyone's really into it. These videos were quite entertaining though. Gotta find people who'll buy DnD for me. I've always wanted to
ReplyDeleteI was never a big D&D er but tabletop particularly WH40K has always captured my fancy. Thanks for the post, always nice to see alternative comedy like RC mix with tabletop.
ReplyDelete@Makel: I've heard about it, and browsed the rules once a while ago, but I'll check it out again next time I see the book.
ReplyDelete@Madcat: Precisely, and these guys are new players, and usually for new players RPing is embarrassing, and jokes diffuse tension, so it's kind of natural that way. I remember it's how I was.
@Mysterious Stranger: I've been meaning to try WH40K, but I don't have the money to buy and paint an army. I DO however have a LotR battle strategy game army (its WH40K with Lord of the Rings armies) which I enjoy playing from time to time.
i love robot chicken! that guy is just awesome
ReplyDeleteinteresting video, seeing one of the top D&D guys DMing is very good for those of us learning to DM
ReplyDeleteI ended up watching the whole thing lol. Wish I had friends who were interested in this.
ReplyDeleteChris Perkins is a God. What I wouldn't give to work for WotC.
ReplyDeleteThis guy is a pro
ReplyDelete